Several years ago I was engaged in research on the overseas Chinese in North Korea between the wars (1945-1950). The end result of this was an article, which you can download for free here:
During the course of my research, I found a number of surviving records probably produced in full or in part by the Overseas Chinese Federation (华侨联合会 Huaqiao lianhe hui) in the “captured North Korean documents” housed at the National Archives in College Park, MD. The documents, written in Chinese, provided some fascinating glimpses of the North Korean revolution at the grassroots and the deep but complicated nature of Korean-Chinese relations at this juncture.
Since the article was finished several years ago, I see no point in hoarding the documents. They are now accessible via the Wilson Center’s Digital Archive. Hope they come in handy for others engaged in research on Sino-Korean relations. Links below:
- “咸北道教育工作總結 Xianbei dao jiaoyu gongzuo zongjie” [Summary of Education Work in North Hamgyong], 25 February 1949, in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- “學校正規化平北道 Xuexiao zhengguihua Pingbei dao” [School Standardization, North Pyongan Province], in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- “咸北道教員對教育工作缺點總結：附件資料 Xianbei dao jiaoyuan dui jiaoyu gongzuo quedian zongjie: fujian ziliao” [Summary of Shortcomings in Teachers’ Work in North Hamgyong Province: Attachments], 25 February 1949 in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- “平安南道華僑聯合會教育部總填寫表 Ping’an nan dao Huaqiao lianhehui jiaoyu bu zong tianxie biao” [Tables from the Department of Education, South Pyeong-an Branch of the Overseas Chinese Federation], 1949, in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- “平壤特別市華僑聯合會教育填寫 Pingrang tebie shi Huaqiao lianhehui jiaoyu tianxie” [Tables from the Department of Education, Pyongyang Special City Branch, Overseas Chinese Federation], in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- “咸南道華僑會工作總結 Beinan dao Huaqiao hui gongzuo zongjie” [Summary of the Work of the Overseas Chinese Federation in South Hamgyong Province], 1949, in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/23.
- 教育部 Jiaoyu bu [Ministry of Education], “北朝鮮各道華僑的學校月中調查報告 Bei Chaoxian ge dao Huaqiao de xuexiao yuezhong diaocha baogao” [Month-End Investigative Report on Overseas Chinese Schools in Every Province of North Korea], January 1949, in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/26.
- 教育省 Jiaoyu sheng [Ministry of Education] “关于中国人初级中学校规程 Guanyu Zhongguo ren chuji zhong xuexiao guicheng” [Regulations for Chinese Junior High Schools], 8 April 1950, in RG 242, Shipping Advice 2006, Item 12/22.
All documents originally obtained from Records Seized by United States Military Forces in Korea, National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized, 1941-, Record Group (RG) 242, National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, MD.